Tuesday 23 July 2013

Preparing for the new heatwave

For the past few week we have been really busy, Mags spoiled us with some really amazing plants and we were kept busy trying to get those sorted the proper way. There is no way we would just plant them, ofcourse we had to prepare the garden beds for two of them and then properly mulch and fertilize. I helped with mulching, I love to play with it hihi. There is no plant with 100% mulching anymore since I pick out the biggest sticks haha.
Red Luna hibicus Mags spoiled us with
Pink Luna hibiscus, huge flowers over 25cm!!! Pretty!
Truly majestic plant
They are called swamp hibiscuses since they love water, but their blossoms are truly bigger then my head haha. They are already going crazy with blooms, we cannot wait when they are grown and properly situated into our soil. And the cute little honey melons behind the pink one on the second picture are starting to become bigger and cuter too. But as you can see, the ground is dry as if its made of dust. The heat has become extreme again and the new wave which was announced should be 35 degrees celsium and more. So...to save our cute little garden we decided to do something extreme, we covered all the plants which are sensitive to scorch with gardening sheets. We made a tent haha. I love walking under it, it's so entertaining and fun and most of all the sun doesn't shine directly thru it so it's cooler and shady.
Exploring
Being in the way of watering hehe, proof: my sprinkled face
Pretty gladiolus next to the middle covered terrase
Walking under, where the blueberries grow
Overview from the path up
We figured, what's the worst that can happen, if it doesn't work, we remove it. If it does and it saves our plants from being burnt then amazing! There should be no rain for the next two weeks and only extreme temperatures around 37 even, so we got nothing to lose by experimenting.We also made another one to hide the bottom hill which is fully planted with Azaleas and Rhododendors, since two azaleas were killed by the scorching sun already, we are not risking it. It's sad to have to leave so many annoying acacias growing to provide shade for them, since acacia is a really intrusive annoying pest tree. But whatever gets them thru this horrible temperatures.

Haha we will see how it goes. These tents do look kinda funny from the road, but the well being of our pretty plants is more important then cosmetics at the moment. The sun is quite cruel to tiny plants, we can't even cut grass so it wouldn't fry the smaller more sensitive flowers and our ornamental plants. So the place is an overgrown jungle haha.

And we finally found out the color of the rose, which the adorable deer pruned. He often comes up to check on us before he goes to meet his family. He isn't scared of me at all, but then again why would he be, I never even barked at the dude hehe. But back to the rose, it was supposed to be lavander color, but most, well all the roses are diffirent color then they were supposed to be haha. Got to love Lidl, but no complaints since they were really cheap price, atleast the arey all growing and blooming unlike Maja's moms, most of her new roses died, all but one yellow climber and the one Maja gave her, which is weird since they bought them together. We got really lucky.

The rose is a very beautiful color, one could say one of the prettiest colors we have. It is a bit purple pink, so not too far from lavander haha, well...quite, but really beautiful anyways. Looks like icecream due to white lines melted in the petals. Really majestic, doesn't taste good tho, I tried it hehe. Don't see what's the appeal for deer, but hey, to each their own, I eat corn peels...so I cannot judge haha.
The mystery rose shows its color
On top of the preparations we have also dug out a huge chunk at the second - lower part of our project. Not as much as we'd like to, but the soil is like cement, it hasn't seen proper rain in a long time. But that didn't stop us, I was really helpful. We are throwing the soil down onto the next terrase we are making, so we can eventually create a few leveled areas instead of a steep downhill. We also plan to build a bridge over the brook, which is now all covered with soil and growth. But that won't be for a while now, since there is so much soil we could level a football field down there haha.

What I am best at is digging, but unfortunatelly Maja has a strict rule of me being close to the work area when she is using tools. Mostly since I manage to throw shovels onto myself just by running next to them, let alone being where the tools are being slammed. Not allowed, so I learnt a new command. "Shade". That command is given to me when the sun is too strong at the area we are working, so I have to move my tiny playful butt into the shade and wait there untill allowed to come and dig hehe. The nearest shaded area is a cute silly umbrella Maja sets up for me, so that I am close by where the action is haha, it's our working station where water is cold and the soil is cooler. I am very good at the new command, it's a little bit borring not being able to dig but the sun is so crazy lately that it's not healthy for me to be in it. But when Maja takes pauses she plays with me untill she continues to work. I am completely blonde, even the vets noticed that I am lighter then most cockers due to the sun haha.

What can I say, this city dog is a gardening dog!

I prefer the cool shade of a tree more then trying to find a cool spot in the house, which is in our cemented city virtually impossible. So I have a few highlights hehe. A few pictures of the work at lower project. And a cute video of me removing the soil from the deposit area, since it got so high up, it was reaching the upper level where we were throwing it off. So I dug out half of it. Try to imagine the amount in wheelbarrels, I removed 20 wheelbarrels of soil from there haha. Told you, I am truly an asset to the gardeners hehe. So much more work needs to be done on this terrase but we are taking a little break due to heat.We are a great team, I help out so much, only one missing is Mags.
End of "shade" command, yuuuppiii I get to explore
On this video I have already managed to remove half the soil from that hill which reached all the way up to where Maja is filming, so I was a bit tired but motivated!

But as much as the sun can be harmful to some, other plants are just thriving. The sunflowers are completely out of control, they are feeding the entire area of insects and birds. The tomatos and paprikas couldn't be happier either. So we need to remove the ripe sunflowers, to store the seeds for winter, this way fluffy little birds won't be hungry. We also took corn which we grew and stored it. I helped with peeling it!
Pascal the corn peeler!
But eventually I got too excited I just wanted to eat the peels too haha.
Crazy growth of Maja's mom's tobacco plants and our cute "little" sunflower roads on the lower part of the project, can't wait for a little bad weather so we can cut the grass again and the area will be pretty.
But for the end, two more videos of what do I do when I have to be in the shade: I chew on the roots I dug out haha, not the best idea and they taste awful, but one has to keep busy while humans work.
And what I do when I want to play with the apples from the orchard on the walk up.I make adorable begging sounds and sometimes, most of the time, they work hihi.
(And yes, this is how clean I am when we are done working, everyday. So imagine the fun after a long working day once we get home. Poor owners hahaha. But we have fun. I have a slight suspicion I am getting a haircut soon hehe.) Hot days ahead, hopefully more fun things will happen. It's horrible this heat, so we are trying to get thru the days as soon as possible with as much fun as we can have. My ears seem to be a lot better, I no longer shake my head and I am not in pain, which is great. Vet visit doesn't come for a week or so, so that makes me even happier hehe. We miss Magnus, but he is being a good boy and it's not long before he is home playing with me. Cannot wait. Maja get's sad when she notices me pulling towards someone who looks like him and then realising he is not Mags, since he just walks past me, ignoring me. I get this sad look in my eyes and walk slower looking at her, wondering. But she tends to keep me busy and I get to sleep on his pillow hihih, so I will survive hehe. But man oh man will I get whiney when I see him again, I will let him know how terrible missing him was, and then I am going to kiss him hihi. Lat time when he came home and I saw him for the first time I took more then half an hour or barking, kissing, whining at him before I calmed down. I just adore him and cannot wait to bring him sticks.

Ooooh I forgot to mention! The other day, Maja and I went to see a friend who brought us the gardening sheets from the store, since he drove by there. And on the parking lot of his house a car was passing us by. They stopped and a really nicely dressed woman came out, all crazy about how pretty I am, how I am the most beautiful cocker she ever saw. She let me kiss her and almost get her pretty dress dirty haha. She was completely in love with me. I was nicely combed and all shiney, true beauty hehe. She was just so excited to meet me and cuddle me, and then she sat back into her fancy car and drove away smiling with her husband. One could see that she was a lady, and well..the lady has taste hihih. I am beautiful, no debate hehe.
But yeah, that was yesterday. Haha I am so confident. Today, same happened with some older man when we walked out, he couldn't stop commenting how pretty my fur is, little does he know I got so many knots on my belly that I don't allow to be cut out since it's so hot haha. How shiney my coat is and how majestic I look, that was when the tips of my ears were dry and I haven't met water and mudd yet haha. But I was nicely combed and all sparkly from being groomed a bit. We really have to start showing more pictures of before we arrive at the garden, rare are the moments of me dry and clean haha. But my owners wouldn't change a thing about me. Not even with me being the dirtiest dog they ever met. They said they consider themselfs lucky. But then again, I am more.

No comments:

Post a Comment